Friday, March 02, 2007

Right on schedule!

You knew it was coming as you see the same thing over and over each and every year around this time- election time. Letters to the editor are trying to paint a picture of a councilor for someone who may no nothing about the political landscape and will just go into the voting booth and vote ( not knowing the person whom one is voting for)
more on this in a minute....
First thing first
Although i have not seen eye to eye with the editorial staff in past weeks, I must say the last 2 editorials were dead-on from the Derry News
The editor has done their homework and realizes that the proposed charter change should be rejected!!!
Folks its ok to vote NO. Thecharter commissioners can try again another time maybe next time they will have better turn-outs at the meetings with more input from the citizens- you see, I was at all but 2 meetings and although well attended at the very first and the very last meeting nobody but nobody was there ( except Mr Dimmock, who was at every meeting)
This proposal of thiers was from mostly the 7 commissioners- making all the decisions and without much input. Hmmm.
Anyways Kudos to the Derry News for calling this one for what it is. VOTE NO!!

Next up is all the nice letters that come -out and well orchastrated mind you. most of these letters are from the same people week in and week out. I don't have to tell you the names, people know who they are only this time it was like someone went to the derry news and delivered all of these letters at the same time. interesting

I need to set the record straight on some of these accusations:
#1 that I berate the people who elected me on my blog.
show me where in this blog i do that please!
#2 One hotline comment said they were disappointed in the council chair because he canceled the march 6th meeting on plowing roads and on Brady Ave sewer they took a vote and got out voted to cancel the meeting
wrong! the only thing on the agenda was the well ordinance- thats it- The meeting was canceled but no vote was taken on that.
#3 that I was on the council in 2004 that voted to keep the petition away from the public
Big lie! the petitioners came with the petition late and it was the town clerk who messed it up not the council-
#4 that i canceled the march 6th meeting in an attempt to muzzle any final public comments prior to election and is an ongoing attempt to limit taxpayers public input
Ahh excuse me, the town council meeting is to conduct the towns business it is not the political connection show. If you want to get on a soapbox, why don't you use c17 and have your own weekly show? with limited agenda items it was best to move the item to the next meeting.
I could go on and on and on with this stuff. unbelievable.
The interesting thing though is most of my critics are not even in my district. Take a look and see the names who jump all over me and look up thier addresses- most are from East Derry- I'm not saying i have no detractors from my district- I will tell you that in three years I have had alot more positive comments from people in my district than negative- Check it out for yourself most are the same people over and over again.

9 comments:

Vote_Please said...

Brian,
I have a couple of comments on this issue.
your comment

"This proposal of thiers was from mostly the 7 commissioners- making all the decisions and without much input. Hmmm."

Isn't this pretty much how most of the people in the town feels about the council? If your answer is "no" you might wanna leave your comfort zone and talk to 'other' people in the town, people you have never seen before, people you don't know exist, those are the people whom you might receive great insight.

#2 I do beleive you when you say you did not cancel the meeting because of your own personal re-election agenda. Maybe thats because I already knew you didn't just skip over the private road vote you listened to the/a resident and postponed it so everyone involved could be notified.

#3 I do not think you barate anyone on your blog, and I have to admit, you allow both sides to talk openly. Though you might have thrown a couple of people under the bus in this post....take a look at the end.

Maybe the reason the same people are saying the same things is because they do not feel they are being listened to. Maybe acknoledgement is all that is needed.....hmm who knows, but it would work for me. I don't e-mail you everyday anymore.....lol

I am for the charter change, 100%, why are you so against it?
Is it the budgeting to be voted on, the bonds, or the change in the election date?
Or....... is it the people who put it all together?

By the way, I really wish you had spell check on this blog!!! :)

Vote_Please said...

Brian,
I have just one more question, how do you plan, in the future, to get more people involved with the town governemnt. Attendance has been very low, what do YOU plan to do about that, and what have YOU done to encourage people to speak up?

BC said...

Very,
You are correct. I found it ironic that they complain on the council side of it but when they do it there argument is that they were elected by the people... I was trying to make this point.
also thanks for validating points 2 & 3.
I have to seriously think about your listening statement. I believe you are right in some cases, however lets admit that there are a few who continue on a bi-monthly basis and for many years just get up on a soapbox and be anti-everything no matter what one does.

I am against the change of charter because it is not real world applicable. Mostly budget portion. Had Paul H ( who is the author of this piece) put in a provision for obligated uncontrolable costs it would of appealed to more people ( this giving more people say would still of not been affected). I could live with the bond portion and May election- just concerned it might turn out less people than we have already. And last I don't dis-like anyone who sits as a commisioner.I don't try and personalize it either. in fact I have known Paul & Sandy, Frank for along time others I've met recently but I could walk up to any of them and have a conversation about issues. Its issues with me not personalities.

BC said...

Very,
execellent question on how I would bring more people into the process. I do believe we can do a better job communicating with the public ie... talk about issue many times before a vote. Explain what a GMO is or how it works and the importance of a CIP. I think this blog thing is another avenue. Some people feel intimidated at council meetings.. heck i get nervous sometimes when i'm on the other side. we need to reach out to more people and in different ways.. ie maybe C17 shows or have neighborhood coffees occasionaly where the tensions are less and nobody acting in front of the TV cameras

wh3 said...

BC, I think you already have done this town a great service by letting taxpayers speak what needs to be said on this blog avenue.

You will get my vote even though you are against charter changes.

As I have stated in previous blogs, people that dont have the cushy jobs in town hall must spend 4 hrs. a day in a car to bring back the money to fund this wonderful and expensive web Derry has spun. Derry town hall calls this a bedroom community. Now I know why! After sitting in a car for 3-4 hrs., AND WORKING 12 HRS., that gives you 8 hrs. to do all the rest of man of the house stuff, and fall INTO YOUR BEDROOM.

Here is an idea! Why can't the council listen to the taxpayers after the minutes are read. The taxpayers that wish to speak put a signed note in a box in front of the room before taking a seat. Topics will be voted on by a show of hands to discuss that Tuesday night. The people of this community would propably come up with a solution or some good ideas to resolve subject.

I believe if this was constituted in the past,instead of waiting til the majority of people leave the meeting before council votes, council would have more participation and there would have been no need for Charter changes.

Making the people wait till 9 or 10 pm at night to speak for three mins, is not the way to get taxpayers more involved.

One more thought! Is it only me ,its seems like every time the town cant seem to sqeeze anymore money thru taxes, they valuate properties again!!!!!! BUT THEY NEVER DO IT WNEN VALUATIONS ARE LOWER ON THE REAL ESTATE END OF THINGS. Just a thought BC. just a thought.

Paul H said...

Brian:

Will you post this response telling folks that you DO censor the blogs? I know for a FACT that you have NOT posted some of my blogs.

I think it's important for you to be honest and let people know that you do NOT post every comment that is sent.

(And don't tell me fowl language of personall attacks is the only reason you censor blogs)

It's your blog, and you have the RIGHT to censor, just be honest about it.

BC said...

Paul,
I have censored 2 post back when this started in Jan.
One post was when you wanted to direct all of blog traffic to your new blog site. which by the way did not contribute to any particular issue. The other one was foul language and named someone in an unapproatiate way.
Everything else has been posted and responded to. your web page doesn't allow anyone to respond- For instances, you say I'm against Voter rights which is very misleading yet I can't respond.

BC said...

Wh3,
I want to thank you for earning your vote. I appreciate you sharing your ideas and maybe we can use some in the future. Thanks Again.

BC said...

Wh3,
On the re-values issue. Not sure if you know this but you can go for an abatement each year. As the market changes you have a right to challenge the value the town has put on your home. As a matter of fact the values you see today were from 2005 and that was when the market was at its best. It would be worth it to check and see if you can get an abatement!!!!