Sunday, December 10, 2006

Term limits anyone?

I got an interesting e-mail from someone I know last week and it asked what my thoughts were about term limits for the Derry Town Council. At first I was skeptical about answering it because the last time this happened, someone had edited my responses to make me look bad and my opposition looked like Einstein. Talk about cheap shot politics- anyway the author of the e-mail was someone I sat on the planning board with and he did say in the e-mail that I could call if I had questions.- I called! I then asked if this was to be used by the same organization who twisted everything and the answer was "NO" it was for a grass root effort of people who want to be heard and so I gave him my answer. "yes" I believe in term limits-I always have and always will. I believe that in any succesful company or organization, you need many people to give of thier time,mind, and effort and if you don't have that, things get stale and no new ideas come foward. I read a book that asked why do you think big companies like Wang and NEC were big at one time- IBM got to stale- No new ideas- same old same old and the young companies gave them a run for thier money. IBM has since seen the light but will always remember its past mistakes. Term limits are good and what this man is proposing would allow a councilor after 6 years to wait an additional 6 years before he could hold a council seat. I say 6 years and no more! ( unless of course apathy sets in and nobody wants the seat)

2 comments:

jr said...

Why impose term limits at all? The Derry tax rate continues to increase with no end in sight.From what I have seen, the TC floats bonds without any regard to the tax payers ability to pay, the Planning board is hampered by the Town Council's inability to run the Town properly, the Zoning board is hampered by their inability to find out what the rest of the Town is doing. The school committee is throwing good money after bad, ie: Pinkerton Academy - private or public? No responsibility to the taxpayers, yet, we pay their bill. County Tax -who knows? Derry Congressional Delagation - who they are & what they do is a secret. Have not heard from them in the 25 years that I have lived here. So, the questions on term limits is mute - the taxpayers remain uninformed, yet, the tax rates continue to escalate.

JR

fed-up said...

WELL SAID JR!